- 200 grams shredded carrots
- 1 kilogram shredded jicama
- 100 grams shredded onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- spring roll wrappers/shells
- some cornstarch mixed with water
Directions for the filling
- Sauté onions and garlic.
- Blanche jicama and carrots till soft. Drain off the water and add into the pan of sautéed onions and carrots.
- Add in all the condiments, stir fry and mix well.
Assembly and frying
- Lay a spring roll wrapper on a clean cutting board like a diamond. Put some filling (around 1 table spoon) on the bottom corner. Make sure it is not too close to the edge.
- Fold the bottom corner over the filling and roll tight. Then, fold over the left corner. Ensure there are no air pockets.
- Fold over the right corner, ensuring no air pockets. Then, roll the filling closer towards the top, making sure it is tight and without air pockets.
- Once it looks like an open "envelope", use the cornstarch paste as glue and apply it on the edges of the top corner before rolling and sealing the spring roll completely.
- Deep fry spring rolls over medium heat until golden brown.