SAS Reimagined Updates
- Phase 1 is in progress (since May 2021)
- Watch the videos on our YouTube playlist for more updates
- We're working with Fielding International to design he learning spaces
Math Review Updates
● Strong commitment from all stakeholders to
excellence in mathematics
● Overall strong performance in student
● Collaborative and dedicated faculty
committed to student learning
● High access to curriculum resources and
● Evidence of rigor and challenge for students
Overall areas for strength:
● Alignment across courses
● Consistent high quality teaching
● Interventions in the classroom and with learning support teachers
● Extension of learning in and outside the classroom
● Understand of requirements for courses
● Student wellness
● Parent engagement
- Develop and share a schoolwide math philosophy of teaching and learning
- Revise courses to ensure the curriculum and assessment is focused on depth, rather than breadth
- Professional learning for faculty on consistent, high-impact mathematics teaching
- Professional learning and systems for classroom intervention
- Professional learning and further offerings for extension
- Adoption of a common K-5 math curriculum resource
● End of the first semester- choose two programs to pilot
● Mid-Q3 - selection of the program to be implemented
● 2022–2023 - full implementation in elementary school
Upcoming elementary school sessions:
Session 1 (September 28, 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.): Understanding HOW Children Learn and How this Plays an Important Role in Selecting Math Curriculum Materials
Session 2 (November 30, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.): How to Support Your Child at Home with Mathematics
Session 3 (March 8, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.): Selected Curriculum Materials for SAS Elementary School
Social-emotional Learning at SAS
CASEL’s SEL framework fosters knowledge, skills, and attitudes across five areas of competence and multiple key settings to establish equitable learning environments that advance students’ learning and development.
What are the core competencies and key settings?
How teachers build community on focus on relationships (Responsive Classroom):
- Community building - Getting to know each other
- Establishing class rules together
- Closing circle
- Morning meetings (20-minute session)—greeeting, sharing, and fun!
How teachers build community on focus on relationships (Second Step):
- Second Step is a research-based program
- Second Step Child Safeguarding Unit empowers children by providing lesson to know how to recognize, respond to, and report abuse
How families and caregivers build community on focus on relationships (Second Step):
- Playdates—balance after school activities with relaxation.
- Academics—homework, use your teacher as a guide.
- Bedtime— “Children 6-12yrs should sleep 9-12 hours per 24 hours” (Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine)
- Play, play, play!
Collaboration across settings:
- Parenting Courses: Active Parenting Workshop (October to November 2021)
- Specialized Workshops (Semester 2, 2022)
- Counseling lesson updates from counselors
- Counselors as resource!
- elementary school
- math review updates
- parent coffee
- social emotional learning