2018-19 Middle school highlights
• Additional playspace option—Gaga court
• Participation in co-curricular program: Over 80 percent of students participated in co-curricular activities last year .
• Dual language immersion program designed by Dr. Scott Oskins—eighth grade social studies. The main challenge was getting instruction materials.
TRi Time Improvements
• More parent volunteers
• More spaces introduced
• TRi Time Marketplace
Classroom without Walls (CWW)
• Change in venue for seventh grade CWW this year. Seventh graders went to Bintan, Indonesia instead of Desaru, Malaysia.
• Some personalized activities will be introduced next year for seventh grade CWW trip.
Taking Action/Make a Difference Unit
• Students are taking their argumentative strategies—using their voice to advocate for themselves.
Flexible Learning in Sixth Grade
• All of sixth grade in flexible learning environments.
• Read the myths debunked article here
• Spanish team in flexible learning environments
What’s on the horizon?
• Gathering feedback on student wellbeing during the advisory and counseling program. Our counselors are currently involved in the social-emotional learning leadership program. We are working with Hong Kong International School to learn more about their advisory program and how they proactively deal with social-emotional issues .
• Pathfinding in grade seven B-side:
- Science lab will be integrated as it is currently in the sixth grade wing.
• During this summer, there will be a renovation in 6A learning community to create more breakout rooms.
• We have been gathering data (twice a year) from students on their experience in flexible learning spaces.
• Seven new faculty members will join middle school in 2019-20
- flexible learning
- middle school
- parent coffee