- International Fair is next Saturday, March 16! Sign up to volunteer: International Fair Volunteer Sign Up
- Staff Appreciation Day is on April 23, 2019. Volunteers are needed for this event.
New High School Principal Welcome!
A warm welcome to our new high school principal for the 2019-20 school year, Mr. Stephen Ly!
Dr. Jeff Devens on Alcohol and other Mood-altering Substances
What constitutes alcohol use disorder?
• Impaired control
• Physical dependence
Number one reason why SAS students drink: to cope. Anonymous survey was conducted to know how many SAS students are drinking alcohol. The data for the past 10 years has been consistent.
• Alcohol is the most widely used substance among youth
• What constitutes binge drinking? Females consuming four or more drinks in two hours. Males consuming five or more drinks in two hours.
Know the signs! Save a child from alcohol poisoning:
M: Mental Confusion
S: Snoring/gasping for Air
T: Throwing Up
E: Erratic Breathing
L: Loss of Consciousness
P: Paleness/Blueness of Skin
Treatment for alcohol poisoning:
• Oxygen therapy
• Intravenous fluids
Other trending points:
• There is no school-sponsored spring break trip to Bali .
• Prom is an alcohol-free event. High school administration will conduct a breathalyzer test during the event should there be a suspicion that a student is under the influence of alcohol.
• There is no school-sponsored after prom event .
• Vaping, “huffing”, and warehouse parties are trending now .
• SAS conducts random drug screening. The principal or deputy principal will notify parents when a hair follicle sample was obtained.
SAS Suspension Overview
Alcohol, tobacco, and vaping consequences:
• Students stay in Singapore during the next Interim Semester
• Restricted travel for 28 calendar days
• Honor society sponsors will be notified
• Reported to colleges that ask
High School Updates
• Interim Semester went smoothly!
• Graduation ceremony is on Friday, May 31, 2019
• High school students will have two days off before the last day during the final week of school due to Hari Raya Puasa on Wednesday
• Course sign-ups from March 12 at 8:00 a.m. to March 21 at 3:00 p.m.
• Current freshmen with questions, contact personal academic counselors at 6360 6810
• Current sophomore and juniors with questions, contact college counseling at 6360 6501
Senior Jonna Chen writes about the summer of 2018 and how this time spent among honey bees in a laboratory has been her best cup of tea so far.
Did you miss the high school PTA parent coffee on Monday, April 8? Here are the highlights from our recent parent coffee on summer programs and summer semester options.
Susan Ridley (Class of 1977) had difficulties in learning a new language and challenges with understanding people of different nationalities. Ridley now works for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as a forensic accountant.