- International Fair is next Saturday, March 16! Sign up to volunteer: International Fair Volunteer Sign Up
- Staff Appreciation Day is on April 23, 2019. Volunteers are needed for this event.
New High School Principal Welcome!
A warm welcome to our new high school principal for the 2019-20 school year, Mr. Stephen Ly!
Dr. Jeff Devens on Alcohol and other Mood-altering Substances
What constitutes alcohol use disorder?
• Impaired control
• Physical dependence
Number one reason why SAS students drink: to cope. Anonymous survey was conducted to know how many SAS students are drinking alcohol. The data for the past 10 years has been consistent.
• Alcohol is the most widely used substance among youth
• What constitutes binge drinking? Females consuming four or more drinks in two hours. Males consuming five or more drinks in two hours.
Know the signs! Save a child from alcohol poisoning:
M: Mental Confusion
S: Snoring/gasping for Air
T: Throwing Up
E: Erratic Breathing
L: Loss of Consciousness
P: Paleness/Blueness of Skin
Treatment for alcohol poisoning:
• Oxygen therapy
• Intravenous fluids
Other trending points:
• There is no school-sponsored spring break trip to Bali .
• Prom is an alcohol-free event. High school administration will conduct a breathalyzer test during the event should there be a suspicion that a student is under the influence of alcohol.
• There is no school-sponsored after prom event .
• Vaping, “huffing”, and warehouse parties are trending now .
• SAS conducts random drug screening. The principal or deputy principal will notify parents when a hair follicle sample was obtained.
SAS Suspension Overview
Alcohol, tobacco, and vaping consequences:
• Students stay in Singapore during the next Interim Semester
• Restricted travel for 28 calendar days
• Honor society sponsors will be notified
• Reported to colleges that ask
High School Updates
• Interim Semester went smoothly!
• Graduation ceremony is on Friday, May 31, 2019
• High school students will have two days off before the last day during the final week of school due to Hari Raya Puasa on Wednesday
• Course sign-ups from March 12 at 8:00 a.m. to March 21 at 3:00 p.m.
• Current freshmen with questions, contact personal academic counselors at 6360 6810
• Current sophomore and juniors with questions, contact college counseling at 6360 6501
Selected seventh and eighth grade choir students were invited to perform at the Australia National Choral Association Choralfest Conference in Fremantle, Western Australia. There is no other event quite like it which draws in so many sectors of the choral community—teachers, educators, university lecturers and conductors, singers, composers, choir managers, and committee members.
In this three-part series, high school psychologist Dr. Jeff Devens shares how parents can help their children settle in as they transition into a new culture, school, and country.
In order for a child to learn, the mind and body must work together. This is why a perceptual motor program is important in the early years. The perceptual motor program at SAS focuses on developing the whole child, physically, cognitively, and social emotionally. It also offers a transdisciplinary experience and encourages the core values of compassion, honesty, fairness, respect, and responsibility.