SAS Strategic Focus
The Singapore American School is committed to providing each student an exemplary American educational experience with an international perspective.
The Singapore American School inspires a passion for learning, encourages emotional and intellectual vitality, and empowers students with the confidence and courage to contribute to the global community and to achieve their dreams.
The Institute of Global Ethics has identified five values (i.e., Compassion, Honesty, Fairness, Responsibility, Respect) as recognized core values of cultures throughout the world. The five core values are the basis for the Singapore American School's approach to Character Education and serve as the foundation for all relationships among students, staff, faculty, administrators, and parents.
|Vital Few|| ||Desired Student Learning Outcomes|
|Academic Rigor, Professional Excellence, and Extraordinary Care for the Welfare of Each Child are three operational imperatives that guide the Singapore American School's efforts and resources in achieving excellence as a world class leader in education.
- Academic Rigor
- Every student is appropriately challenged in all curriculum areas.
- Every student is actively engaged in meaningful learning in all curriculum areas.
- Every student is encouraged to pursue depth, application, and cross-disciplinary connections.
- Every student is prepared to work collaboratively and independently.
- Every student is involved in deepening and expanding his/her interests, abilities, and learning styles.
- Every student is inspired to pursue lifelong learning.
- Professional Excellence
- Every staff member is committed to lifelong learning and demonstrates current “best practices” in his/her work, particularly as these practices relate to learning environment, instructional strategies, curriculum and assessment, collaboration and communication, and student learning (see “Characteristics” on Formal Individual Teacher Evaluation).
- Every staff member is responsible for a positive school climate.
- Every staff member builds purposeful partnerships with parents and students to enhance student learning.
- Every staff member is actively involved in a Professional Learning Community and contributes to overall growth of team and school.
- Extraordinary Care for the Welfare of Each Child
- The school community is dedicated to recognizing and supporting the unique talents and gifts of each and every student.
- The school community is committed to the academic, social, emotional, and physical success and well-being of each and every student while maintaining a balanced life.
- The school community is united in its efforts to create a nurturing environment where each and every student feels safe and has a feeling of connectedness.
- The school community is dedicated to an exciting and engaging liberal arts education that nurtures a deep understanding for quality of life and service for others.
||The school's curriculum and the Desired Student Learning Outcomes (i.e., Exemplary Character with Ability to Work Independently and Collaboratively, Critical and Creative Thinkers, Engaged and Responsible Citizens, Effective Communicators) serve as the direction and substance for the school's academic programs.
- Exemplary Character with Ability to Work Independently and Collaboratively
- Demonstrates the five “core values” of SAS (i.e., Compassion, Honesty, Fairness, Responsibility, Respect)
- Demonstrates the skills and commitment to work and learn independently
- Collaborates meaningfully, supportively, and efficiently on teams
- Contributes to academic, social, emotional, and physical well-being for one’s self and others
- Shows commitment to perform to their personal best within all content areas and disciplines
- Critical and Creative Thinkers
- Uses appropriate strategies to solve problems and produce exemplary work
- Critically evaluates and analyzes sources for credibility, reliability, and usefulness
- Uses effective thinking skills for real life situations in and out of school
- Applies learning from all areas of the school’s curriculum to support success in higher level education, career, and life
- Engaged and Responsible Citizens
- Demonstrates an understanding, respect, and appreciation for cultural differences
- Acts and responds in a responsible and supportive manner to local, regional, and global needs and issues
- Engages in “authentic” learning and applications within subject area/course study
- Actively understands and respects uniqueness of others
- Shows a curiosity and passion for lifelong learning
- Effective Communicators
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate in multiple ways:
- artistic/visual expression
- kinesthetic/movement expression
- musical expression
- mathematical/logical expression